While my fellow IAP members are off gallivanting in Spain / Morocco / Greece / Rome, I sit here in an empty common room, drinking tea and reflecting on the first half of my semester abroad. It's nice to finally have some quiet time, but it's also made me realize how much I have connected with the people that I live with in such a short time. On a normal day, I would sit here for about 2 minutes in peace before someone would parade in and begin a conversation with me. The liveliness is something that I have a love/hate relationship with. I have learned so much about myself in this first two months, but mainly how to handle being around people 24 hours a day. I've grown fond of the fact that I can turn my head and see another person. There are 40 participants in this program (20 in my flat) and I love that no two people are alike in any way. I've met and lived with so many different personalities and it's a great feeling. I think it's safe to say that none of us would have ever met each other in Madison or become so close, but this program made us get to know each other in a way that is not comperable to anything I can think of.
I am finally beginning my journey as a Londoner, not a tourist. As I met my cousin, Ashley, at her hotel today I realized how much knowledge I aquired in the past seven weeks. I took the tube by myself, found her hotel on time and actually showed someone else around the city. Sure, a textbook teaches you history and a map shows you the way, but I know things that can't be found in any book. 1. Stand on the right-hand side of the escalator when going through Tube stations. 2. London Parks close at dusk, not a certain time. 3. No one waits on you at a pub. Order your food at the bar. All of these things happened today and I already knew how to deal with each situation. See Mom? You are getting your money's worth (and so am I). I am so happy.
No comments:
Post a Comment