Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Save the Planet: Buy a Bag



Hi Everyone!
I wandered around the city for about two hours yesterday. I mentally compiled a list of strange British quirks and customs that I thought you would enjoy reading about.

1. The British are freakishly into saving the planet through the use of re-usable grocery bags.
-- This one is understandable until you realize how many grocery stores will charge you 5 pence for each disposable bad you use. Attempt to save the planet or attempt to make you buy their store's reusable bags? You decide. But I'll just add that yesterday the cashier tried to cram all of my purchases into one bag and when they did not all fit, asked me to put my lettuce in the Gap bag I was carrying.

2. The British do not look strangers in the eyes. Making eye contact is considered a "come on"
-- This is a considerable battle for me because I am such a people watcher. I love to see what people are wearing. Luckily I have not made a ton of eye contact with creepy men or anything and if I do I have learned to immediately look away or start talking to a friend. See? I'm developing strategies!

3. The British love their dogs.
-- Seriously! I cannot tell you how many different types of dogs I have seen. They are treated just like people and their owners let them roll around in the park and go leashless.

4. There are no such things as "doggie" bags in London
-- I may have already covered this topic, but nothing is more frustrating than not being able to take my leftovers home. Come on London, don't you know I'm a starving college student?

5. Crossing the street is just as terrifying after three weeks of living in London as it is the first day you arrive.
--Let's just say, I'm still cautious. There's a reason the "look right" and "look left" paint is on the ground.

Ok that's all for now. Our tour guide is taking us all on an (educational) pub tour tonight. I'll let you know how it goes!
-M

No comments:

Post a Comment