Sunday, January 11, 2009

Mind the gap please


Hello! It's been a couple days since I have had the chance to update here. The internet was too slow yesterday, but I think everything is back to normal.
So much to cover! On Friday we took a tour of the Kensington area where we are living. The place is gorgeous. There is so much history in this area. I didn't bring my camera on the first tour so I am going to go back around either today or tomorrow and take pictures. Imperial College, the university that we are affiliated with, is the best in England next to Cambridge. I talked to one student who equated it to MIT in the US. Needless to say, these kids are smart. We also live right near the Natural History Museum which I really want to visit soon.

Yesterday we took a more general London tour on a coach bus. It is much busier in the center of London than it is where I live, which I am greatful for. We saw Westminster Abbey, the Tower of London, the Tower Bridge, Big Ben, Buckingham Palace, the changing of the guards and we drove on London Bridge. Unfortunately, we were not able to get out of the bus and take pictures for too long but I will soon upload the ones I have.

I also took the tube for the first time yesterday! I had to go to the Apple store to buy a converter for my computer. (Dustin, the apple store here makes yours look like a pit) It's two floors and just gigantic. A couple girls and I then walked down Regent Street which reminded me of Times Square. We found the largest bookstore in London. It's 5 floors of all books!

The group I am with is really starting to click. When you live together, take class together and go out together you have to learn to get along with them (not that it's been too difficult... Everyone's really nice). We have all gone out to pubs the past two nights. The one we found to be the best so far is the student union pub right in Imperial College. There are so many students who are open to chatting. I met a British guy last night who said that most people like talking to American girls more than British girls because Americans are much friendlier. Yay for us!

Today there is a huge soccer game so some of the guys in the group have convinced me to go to a pub in Chelsea and watch it there. After my political science class about sport last semester, I'm interested to see these alleged football hooligans.

Thats all for now! Hope everything is going well in the states.
-M

3 comments:

  1. While you were out galavanting in London, your 100 pound dog, while out playing in the snow with me, ran full speed, head first, square into my nose!!!! Afterwards, Maverick scratched his head while I lay face down in the fluffy white stuff! signed...the Dog Sitter

    ReplyDelete
  2. News Flash......Prince Harry frequently skips to Minnesota to "dance with architects". Yes, he is known in that cold, snowy state as the lead singer for a fabulous band called Ferris. Wow, can he sing!!! signed....Maverick

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Megan,It is Grandma and Granpa.
















    great to hear from you.You write very well.we will keep watching for you.

    ReplyDelete