Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Bad Night for High Heels


Life has been unbelievably busy in the past couple days. Yesterday was the first day of classes. I am taking four of them: Contemporary Britain (political science), History of London, Interpreting Pop Culture and Sex, Race and the Imperial City (which is an English class). I have been to three of these so far and I have history tomorrow. All of the professors are very very nice and funny. One of the professors traveled with us from UW-Madison and she is my favorite so far. The funny thing is, she is British to begin with! Anyway, my overall first impression of classes is positive!

I walked through the park again today with a couple of friends. I was able to take a bunch of pictures (one of which is of Peter Pan, at the top of the post below this).

My classes do not start until 1 or 2 PM most days so I have been staying up pretty late during a lot of the week. Needless to say, I have found a love for the pub culture here. Yesterday my professor for "interpreting pop culture" surprisingly recommended some music bars for us to try. So of course the same day we got those recommendations we decided to try one. We headed to "Aint Nothing but the Blues", a live music bar by Piccadilly Circus. Upon arrival, we realized the place was packed. So we found some other pubs in the same area which I really enjoyed. I have a new appreciation for the side streets of London that aren't as crowded and have some undiscovered places.

Now comes the sad part of the evening... we decided to walk home instead of take the bus. Now don't worry, there were seven of us including some boys so we were very safe but I was in my least comfortable pair of boots. By the time we got home, I practically kissed the ground as I threw my shoes across the room. Four new blisters later, here I am telling you about it.

Today I had class again and then all of the students went to a play that the program arranged for us to attend for free! It's called "39 Steps" and was a comedy based on a Hitchcock movie. I really liked it!

I cannot believe how long this entry is so I will stop here. I miss everyone a lot! Send me emails!
-M

1 comment:

  1. MEGAN! This is so exciting! I love reading about everything you are doing. I'm glad you are having such a great time. :) The pubs sound like a ton of fun. Question: Since your college is like the 2nd best one there, is it really hard? Or don't you know yet? Seems like you have a lot of free time, which is good.

    Love, Val

    P.S. I'm loving the blogging. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete