Readers, I had two significant accomplishments today that I wish to share with you.
1. Achieving optimal shower temperature
Until now, I have neglected to mention the plumbing problems our flat seems to have on a daily basis. It is not uncommon here to flush the toilet two or three times before eventually getting that perfect drain. The sink in the kitchen may seem harmless, but give it five seconds and the pressure of the stream becomes beyond that of a power washer. Most of my flatmates have at some point during the past week shown up at the table with a considerable amount of water just above their beltline. But this isn't about the kitchen sink or even the toilet. The SHOWER is notorious around here for either leaving us with scorch marks or a severe shiver. According to our program leader Mary, the British were the first to install indoor plumbing but have not updated it since its inception. Obviously. The idea of running the cold and hot water at the same time and creating a lukewarm never crossed the plumbers' minds. So today I finally was able to procure hot water (also a rarity at times) and take a lukewarm shower! And sure... I got scorched at the very end as my next-door neighbor turned on her COLD shower, but at least I got all of the shampoo out of my hair this time before it happened. Score.
2. Eating my first fish and chips meal
Yes, it's taken me 10 days, but I've finally eaten fish and chips (as you can see from the picture above: a very happy me). And really, it was more of a fish log than it was individual pieces which sort of grossed me out. My overall feeling toward the dish? I only ate half. The idea of eating a huge piece of fish finally caught up with me around the 11th bite. LOVED the chips obviously and ate them with mayo like any other Brit would do, but the fish wasn't my favorite. At least I tried right?
After dinner, my friends and I went to three different stores to find chocolate. Not only have I waited 10 days to eat fish and chips but believe it or not, I've gone that long without chocolate as well. So it finally caught up with me at about 5PM today. Sundays apparently aren't the time to have a craving however, as most stores are closed by 6PM. Finally, we did find a place and I am sitting here eating some German chocolate as I write to you! Also, another piece of exciting news is that I booked a trip to Brussels, Belgium for the end of the month! It only cost 60 Euros to take the chunnel so I jumped on the opportunity. A few other people are going to come with me and we will begin our hostel search in the next couple of days which should be interesting.
Hope everyone had a great weekend filled with wonderful American food. Oh how I miss it... :)
No comments:
Post a Comment